Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Country Girl and Her Camera

Throw Pillows


Level: Beginner
Time to Complete: Twenty minutes to print pictures and prepare for pillows. Another twenty minutes to make and stuff each pillow. 
Cost: Very cheap ($5.99 for 4 sheets of fabric paper, photos (free), and only 8 1/2" x11" of fabric per pillow!)
Things I Would Do DifferentlyI think it would be best to use close-up, horizontal, colored pictures for this project. For Valentines Day, I am going to surprise the kids with a cute throw pillow for each of their beds. 
Materials Needed

  • Photos
  • Fabric Paper (I purchased the "sew in" kind in white. This color is actually an off-white, so I'm assuming the cream is pretty creamy.
  • Sewing supplies
  • Stuffing for pillows









This past fall, a long-time family friend posted pictures that she took one day of their property here in Eau Claire. I immediately fell in love with the pictures and asked if I could purchase a few from her. She entitled her CD, A Country Girl and Her Camera, which I think is just adorable.


We won't have a huge amount of wall space on the main floor of our new home due to windows, columns, an open concept, and a simple layout. I knew, however, that I wanted to use these pictures somehow in my dining area but I wasn't exactly sure how at first. A few months back, when I was browsing through a friend's magazine, I came upon an idea of using pictures in pillows. I thought it was brilliant and a simple way to have pictures out without taking up wall space.


Since you know I don't like "wasted space", we're only having one large dining area in our home. (In another post, I'll show you what I found on Craigslist to bring out a rustic and modern dining area.) I also found a cute rustic rocking chair that I'm going to reupholster soon and place in the corner of our dining area next to our hearth. I'm hoping to put these pillows on the rocking chair and maybe make a copy of one of the pictures to put on the fire place mantel.


These are the beautiful pictures that Cassie gave me:















And I chose three of the pictures to make into pillows! 
First, choose your pictures and print them on white paper first to see 
how they print. Next, put in your fabric paper 
FACE DOWN and print your first picture!






After printing your pictures, follow directions on package. 





Let sit for 10 minutes to allow ink to dry.




Take off backing (be careful by the edges). 








Iron for 2-3 minutes on each picture to help the ink set.






This is the only way I'll get my chickens:)




Place your fabric on top of your picture and pin the 
top sides together.





With your machine, sew the tops together first and 
then sew the two sides together.
Before turning the fabric right side up, trim off 
the corners.





Turn pillow right side out and iron seams.




Stuff the pillow.




Pin ends together.




Hand sew the final ends together. Push through
one end with your needle and pull out the other.





And, you're done! That was it!!




The Finished Product














4 comments:

  1. Love it Sarah! I may have to try this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy to do! I'm excited to surprise the kids with one for their beds! Thanks for looking!

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed Sarah - these are awesome...it would be cool if you could print the pics a little bigger - like an 18x18 pic...does kinkos do that? They are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I'll have to check into larger sizes of printing fabric and larger printers...that would make them that much better!

      Delete